Saturday, April 29, 2017

Dark Rose of Spring - DIY Floral Headdress

Oooh dramatic title ♥ Anyway, here is a headpiece I made just this morning! I used flowers from old headbands I wasn't using, some faux flowers and satin ribbon from ebay, a dollar store headband that came in a pack of 3, hot glue, and one or two clips from Claire's. Plus, some embroidered lace I had stocked away!
Honestly the only part I don't like is the ribbon wrapped on the bottom to keep the headband thin, but that part tends to get hidden by hair and such...so I'm not too worried. I could've done a cleaner job, but hey.


Perfect with any black blouse, and it oddly enough, it matches the Infanta strawberry JSK I just got? I will have to post some coord pics soon. I'm planning to do a blue/gold/black version of this for another skirt I ordered xUx 


If you're interested in the steps I did to make it, here is the rundown:
1) Get a solid/hard headband, the wider it is the more room you have to work with. The one I used here was pretty thin, about half an inch.

2) Glue lace or a strip of ribbon/fabric to the headband if you'd like to cover it with something that will fit your overall theme better. I covered a black headband with pink, and black & pastel embroidered lace. It's nice to see it poking through the flowers!

3) Wrap the base of the headband (the part that rests right behind your ears) so it's thinner, and will hide better in your hair. Ribbon or fabric can work, and you can glue or sew it secure.

4) Start gluing your largest pieces to the headband. If you aren't sure where to start, lay the pieces around the headband to see if you like the look before committing.

tip: keep trying the headpiece on as you go, then you will know what areas need adjusting!

5) Fill in gaps with smaller pieces to make the headdress look fuller. Here, filled in big gaps that the black roses left with smaller pink and beige flowers. Don't forget the back of the headpiece! I didn't get a pic here, but I just added a few small flowers to fill in gaps in the back too. Not as nice as the front, but still cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment